|Hey friends 👋Every week I'll send you a summary of the latest teams + jobs that offer location freedom, flexible schedules and greater autonomy.
If you were forwarded this email, you can join the other 1,000+ smart people levelling up their careers by subscribing here.
|Death to the Office becomes Modern Teams
Next Tuesday we are rebranding the weekly email to Modern Teams
. Why change names?
We've now sent 27 email reports over the last 6 months, uncovering 200+ forward thinking companies.
Along the way we have grown the email to 1,000+ smart readers and heard lots of great feedback from you.
We've also learned a ton from interviewing founders and realized the best jobs you can get offer much more than remote work
The teams we feature are constantly experimenting with new ways of working. They're motivated to create both location freedom
& time freedom
We're still strongly against old-school office environments 🚫
but we want our brand to reflect a more accurate picture of forward-thinking teams. That means teams that offer remote work but also other emerging benefits like:
What to expect going forward?
- Work from anywhere
- Async communication
- Trust & autonomy
- No meetings
- Modern managers
- Part-time & task-based roles
- As of next week you will receive emails from "Modern Teams" in your inbox. Same time: 6am ET every Tuesday.
- We will also release our new website where you can view a directory of company profiles, our newsletter archive and other original content to help you find dream jobs.
Thanks for reading - now check out Adii's interview and a bunch of new opportunities below 👇
Interview with Adii Pienaar, Founder of Cogsy
- Tell us about what you do and where your team is located.
Cogsy empowers modern retail brands to take smarter actions more proactively with holistic insights based on all of their operational data.
I'm located in Cape Town and Stefano, my co-founder, is in Zurich. We have team members from Latvia, Sri Lanka, India, United States, Hungary, Nicaragua, Belgium and South Africa.
- What's a modern benefit you offer your team that isn't mainstream yet?
I want to say that our unlimited and minimum PTO policy is very progressive... Team members can take as much time off as they'd like, but when it's only unlimited, everyone feels guilty about taking time off. So we encourage everyone to take at least 28 days off (of which you take 7 consecutive days off at least once) in any 12 month period.
We also have a monthly allowance for personal development and wellness, where we encourage everyone to spend it on whatever would be an investment in themselves. No questions asked. And the only "criteria" is that they should be able to look their team mates in the eye and say "I spend my allowance on X".
- Tell us about your approach to meetings vs async communication?
We default to async and effectively use a combination of Slack, Basecamp and Notion for different kinds of discussions / conversations / decisions.
We do a weekly sync with the whole team that is part about alignment on current projects and part just connection. For the rest of it, we defer to the individuals involved to decide whether a quick call would be better than async.
- What's your favourite tool for remote collaboration?
I don't think specific tools are as important for remote collaboration. What is more important is the values, culture and discipline about how a remote team collaborates and communicates. Specific tools are highly subjective and based on preferences in the end. The other things matter much more.
An example for me would be considering Slack vs Twist. Whether either is better for async or calmer communication is moot. What is important is the clarity that the team has around communication expectations. If everyone on my team knows that Adii sometimes likes to do a bit of work on a Saturday, might sent someone on the team a message and does not expect them to even look at it until Monday, then the tool (or notification settings of the tool) is not important.
Finally, maybe not a tool in the sense of the question here, but regular team off-sites or retreats is an important part of our remote and distributed culture. Every 6 months or so, we'll get the team together for a week somewhere in the world. That week is much less about work and much more about just living, cooking, eating and having fun together. It's about building relationships. And every time after a retreat, the dynamism, energy and collaboration is off the charts.
- Can you give us one prediction for the future of work?
I think more teams will ultimately remix their own version of "how we work", because the focus will shift from the team to the individual. The pandemic has accelerated remote work, which means most individuals have significantly more options of whose team they would like to join. The best individuals will want to join teams that empower them to bring their whole, unique selves to work. Similarly I believe the teams that can do that, will get the best and most out of the humans that join them.
In the past, teams were either in office or remote. The future will be a remix based on the unique preferences of the individuals of every team. The teams that can nurture that individuality, diversity and do so in an inclusive manner will win.
Find open positions at Cogsy here.
Latest forward-thinking companies and job opportunities 👇
|Chainlink Labs: the most widely used oracle network for powering hybrid smart contracts.25+ current openings across every department
- Work from anywhere 🌎 - We are a fully distributed team and have the tools and benefits to support you in your remote work environment.
- Flexible schedule 🗓️ - Values flexibility.
- Trusting Managers 🦸♀️ - Values autonomy.
|Wonder: Wonder is a virtual space where people can meet and talk.14 current openings in Data, Design, Engineering, Growth, Operations, People & Product
- Work from anywhere 🌎 - Employees can work from anywhere within +/-3 hours of CET
- Async communication 💬 - Do as much as we can asynchronously.
- Light meetings 🤝 - We work with a restricted time period for meetings and only get together for essential meetings.
- Trusting Managers 🦸♀️ - Nobody knows when they start their workday, when they stop, and when they do breaks. So, they are trusted and evaluated by the quality of their work and impact, not the hours they put in.
- Flexible schedule 🗓️ - Free to structure their day as they see fit.
|Mibo: helps you create the right moments for your team to build relationships5 current remote openings in People, Data, Development & Customer
- Work from anywhere 🌎 - The option to work anywhere in European/African timezones.
- Flexible schedule 🗓️ - Flexibility to organize your own time.
- Company retreats ✈️ - Annual company meetup.
|Userlist: is a customer messaging tool that helps you onboard and engage your SaaS users after they sign up for your product
1 current opening in Development
- Work from anywhere 🌎 - 100% remote work environment.
- Flexible schedule 🗓️ - Flexible hours.
- Async communication 💬 - We value a calm and low stress work environment and mostly use asynchronous communication.
|Boldly: is a premium subscription staffing company.3 current openings in Admin
- Remote friendly 💻 All our positions are 100% remote (work from home). Boldly is currently hiring in the States, as well as in the UK.
- Flexible schedule 🗓️ - Flexible work hours.
|Air Apps: is a leading mobile development company creating essential apps for your daily tasks.12 current openings across all departments
- Work from anywhere 🌎 - Working from anywhere.
- Generous vacation 🏖️ - 24 Annual vacation days.
- Company retreats ✈️ - A yearly get together.
|Vinovest: makes wine investment easy.14 current openings in Engineering, Sales, Accounting & Marketing
- Work from anywhere 🌎 - It’s your contribution to the team that matters. We support you working remotely wherever you’d like.
- Flexible schedule 🗓️ - As long as you are available to collaborate with the team during our core work hours, you can flex your schedule however you’d like.
- Generous vacation 🏖️ - Unlimited time off. Work-life balance is important!
- Mental health Fridays 🧠 - We believe that taking care of your mind is just as important as taking care of your body. We offer The option for anybody to take the first Friday of each month off to reset, recharge, and relax
|Chipper: Chipper Cash is a venture-capital-backed Financial technology company that builds software to enable free and instant Peer-to-peer Cross-border payments in Africa and Europe.25+ current remote openings in all departments
- Remote friendly 💻 - Many roles allow you to work and live anywhere and still have impact globally.
- Flexible schedule 🗓️ - Allow you to work on the schedule that fits your life best.
Tools & Resources 🔧
- Clarity - The simplest workspace for decentralized teams.
- Pony - Pony is a mindful messenging app that delivers once a day.